Thursday, January 07, 2010

Wow Yesterday Sucked, and Wow Today Already Rocks

So much of my to-do list is dependent on the specific date we actually move that I’m in a holding pattern. Which brings us to yesterday. Or, as I like to call it: revisiting the Wednesday from hell.

I had to go to the grocery. I finally wrangled Ian, who kept insisting “Today is pajama day!” into 65 layers of clothes and out the door. To my dismay, and Ian’s further expansion of his naughty words vocabulary, my car would not start. Yes the same van we’re planning on driving across country in 2 weeks. Joy. I tried jumping it with no result. So I called USAA and fumed- though, thankfully, I was at home when it up and died.

The mailman showed up (with a dicks even!) and had to have me sign for some documents. Just as I was wrestling the dog, who was only mildly curious as to why the cold air interrupted her nap, and Ian, and the mail, the phone rang. The tow truck was out back with my van. I managed to scoot the mailman out the door and ran to the car.

The two truck driver was nice but he was missing several front teeth and it was all I could do not to giggle because he was the perfect personification of Mater from “Cars”! He did manage to get my car started but told me my battery was dead, dead, dead and to leave the car running so I could get it up the street to the service station.

So I ran back inside to get Ian… and discovered that he has once again failed the poopy portion of the potty training practical examine. That child accounts for 65% of my alcohol consumption. Car is running out back and I’m upstairs trying to clean my child’s butt with one single wipe- because I REALLY need to go to the grocery.

The door-knocker sounds.

With car running out back and half naked child upstairs I run to front door. It is the Fedex man delivering Mark’s new computer. While he’s man-handling that inside he half drops it and cracks the wood trim on our front door. Lovely. I pushed the broken bit back up and glared it into place.

What? Glaring at woodwork TOTALLY works in my universe.

Car is still running, unattended, and child is still nekid.

Skipping ahead a bit, we get to grocery and get food, pull ups and wipes. Life is ok. Also, I got some fast food since I thought back and realized that except for 2 cups of hot chocolate I’d had nothing to eat for 24 hours. Smooth.

As I’m unpacking groceries I notice the time. I run out the front door to meet Ethan’s bus. His bus stop is a block away but in clear view from the front of the house. As I’m running out the bus is pulling away- without letting Ethan off!!!! AHHHHHHH! Supposedly first graders are allowed to get off the bus without a parent present at the exact bus stop, but for whatever reason the (admittedly very nice and professional) bus driver decided Ethan needed to stay on the bus.

BACK in the house, put Ian’s shoes BACK on him and race with car (with brand new battery courtesy of the lovely service station guys) to catch bus. Snatch Ian off bus and come home. Glare at woodwork and children and tell both to stay put. Collapse in sniveling heap of frustration.

Then the realtor calls at 7pm last night and tells us the current owner of the house we have a short sale bid offer in for has not returned her realtor’s calls in a week. Re-collapse in a sniveling heap. We knew that there were going to be bumps in the short-sale road and that we could end up losing the house at any second, but this…. not even passing the first hurdle… frustrating!

But then my long-suffering husband gave me a hug and let me open my birthday present early. He bought a replacement for my MP3 player- the original I accidentally drowned right before Christmas.

Looove that man. Looooooooooooove my little back distributor of joy.

Geez.. you are still reading? Don’t you have a life of your own?

Today.. today is ONE BILLION times better than yesterday. Because I have an MP3 player and:

BECAUSE THE HOUSE OWNER SIGNED THE SHORT SALE CONTRACT ON THE HOUSE THIS MORNING! FIRST HURDLE: CLEARED!

More on the house later. I have to go change Ian… again.

1 comment:

Sandra Davis said...

Hugs Amy. Congrats on getting that wonderful house you always wanted. That house has always been a my dream for your family. Mark, you and the boys will absolutely love it. Good things come to good people. Just hang in there.