Nana made her famous monkey bread for breakfast to start our third day “on the road”. The boys (Ethan and his Daddy, that is) gobbled it up before it could even cool. Ian had to be satisfied with waffles and cheerios and a banana and fruit treats.. and…anything else he could beg for. If those boys would learn to eat roast beef (which is what we had for dinner the previous night) then they wouldn’t be so hungry the following morning!
Sadly, Linda had to go to work before we left. Tearful hugs and kisses abounded. While Mark and the boys spent a precious house visiting with Tami and Holly, I re-packed the van. Originally I had one suitcase for each person. I realized that first night that my strategy was flawed when I had to unpack the entire van just to get pajamas for all of us. At Linda’s house I packed clothes for each of us for the next three days in one suitcase. I can be taught!
After lunch we hit the road again, bound for my Gramma’s house on Kentucky lake. It was an entirely uneventful three and a half hour trip.
My Mamma drove up from Georgia to stay with Gramma and see us while we were visiting. The boys were happy to see her. Ethan had fun showing the wonders of Gramma’s house to Ian, who wasn’t really walking the last time we visited. Even more exciting to Ethan was the opportunity to sleep downstairs in a room with his Granny (my mom) while the rest of us slept upstairs.
Ethan started to show some pouty behavior and sadness that night. He had two meltdowns that were, I believe, entirely caused by loneliness and the realization that he wasn’t going to see his friends again. It breaks my heart to see him trying to be so brave when he’s hurting inside.

No comments:
Post a Comment