Friday, July 13, 2007

These "words" you speak of...

I’ve gotten a few emails since my last post (which, was, like, YESTERDAY. All these posts in a row! Neurosis is good for my focus, huh?) saying how funny I am about the chicken obsession and how cute Ian is and thrown in at the end, “What are his new words?”

Yeah like tacking it there on the end as an after thought isn’t guaranteed to send me into a fit of overly analytical anxiety. Gee, thanks.

Um, new words. Hmm. Well let’s see he just started saying….

Whatever, the kid is 14 months old. When he wants to express his displeasure at being told “no”, he kits his eyebrows together and emits a sound that is a cross between a barbaric yalp and a bull’s snort. When he wants food he screams at a pitch close in frequency to that of Amazonian bats that feed solely on insects. When his Daddy comes home he, Ian, squeals like a pig and crawls as fast as he can (slap slap slap on the hardwood floors) babbling “Da Da Da Da de-Da” all the way. And if he’s really tired and upset and has cried himself into pure emotional exhaustion, his little body will shudder and he will moan a plaintive “mama”.

Besides, have you been around Ethan lately? There’s no way Ian is going to learn to talk until Ethan goes off to college. There’s not enough silence, much less oxygen, in the house for Ian to get a word in edgewise.

So, no new words. Very few words at all. And we’re fine with it, because I have a feeling his first sentence will be something like “I want more chicken, mother”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't worry about the not talking! Ryan didn't talk till he ws 2, and now I can't shut him up!