Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Operation Cake


Operation Cake
Originally uploaded by redamy.
Mark announced three days ago that he wanted a chocolate, peanut butter, and coconut cake - sugar free of course- for his birthday. After incredulously repeating that list of ingredients, because those just aren’t common combinations, I said: “I can do that.”

I’m fairly sure that is definitive proof of demonic possession. I haven’t slept for more than three hours straight in two months, Ethan is in the middle of a whining phase, and it’s supposed to be a mere one billion degrees outside today. So, sure, I’ll just whip out the old apron, crank up the INCREDIBLY- HOT- SUPER- HEAT- THE- HOUSE oven, strap Ian to my chest (because we both need a good heat rash, don’t you know) and mix up a cake that no recipe exists for.

Right. And after that I can solve that whole minor disagreement in Lebanon.

Well I did it. Operation “Bake a Cake from Scratch without Committing Infanticide” is complete. I used this recipe, and made a few minor (read: MAJOR, what- was- I- thinking- HUGE) changes. Into the milk I added a chocolate syrup I made from combining ½ cup Hershey’s dry unsweetened cocoa with 2/3 cup hot water and stirring over medium heat until mixed. I let the milk/cocoa mixture cool while sifting (with Ethan’s help, and wow was that a mess) ¼ cup cocoa in with the flour, salt and baking powder recipe. At the end, after pouring the cake into the cake pan, I folded in 1 cup of peanut butter chips.

I had to use an 8x8x2 cake pan because I don’t own a 10x2 round cake pan and I used 2% milk instead of whole milk.

I’ll let you know what Mark, the birthday boy, thinks of the outcome.

1 comment:

Holly Turney said...

While I'm sure it was super yummy to my weirdo brother... that cake sounds Naaaasss-staay. That does not sound like a good combo at all! It sure does look pretty though!