Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Grape harvest 2006


Grape harvest 2006
Originally uploaded by redamy.
We had an awesome harvest this year. Our third vine, that has concord purple grapes, didn't produce this year- it never has. We're going to pull it out and move a rose bush into it's spot. The red grapes are seedless, we discovered, so we're keeping those for eating. Hopefully we can work on that vine and get more grapes from it next year.

The green grapes have tons of small seeds so I'm using them for
making grape jelly. I need 4 quarts to make the jelly. In the "washing
grapes" picture (click on the picture here to see more) you can see a 4 quart juice pitcher sitting in the back and it is about 1/4 full. That represents one small container of harvested grapes- and only the best ones- that have been washed three times. Since we have so many grapes I can afford to throw out the ones with even the slightest bruising.

I'm still washing grapes and we harvested on Sunday. I'll start making the jelly tomorrow (Wednesday).

No comments: