Before I update you on gi-normous head boy and his amazing growth statistics, I’d like to remind everyone that it is Prematurity Awareness month. Prematurity is the leading cause of infant death in the United States and the rates of premature birth go up every year. Chances are you know a preemie. Actually, chances are 100% you know a preemie if you are reading this site, since I’m a preemie and so is Ian! I’d tell you to go out and hug a preemie today, but it’s also RSV season and we preemie parents are a bit paranoid of you germ-ridden huggy types.
So, Ian Kenneth continues to be the biggest preemie EVER ( ok not really, but it amuses me to tell him that). He weighs 17.5lbs (50%), is 27.5 inches long (75%) and has a really big head (90%). The doctor, with whom he LOVES to flirt, says we’ll wait on his blocked tear duct and see if it opens up on its own by one year of age. She was glad to hear he had mastered rolling back to front and mentioned that back to front rolling is considered “the hard way”. Yes, he LIKES doing things the hard way. She noted that he wasn’t sitting, supported or otherwise, on his own yet, but said balancing a head that big had to be hard. (GI-NORMOUS MELON) He received a flu shot, three vaccines and a clean bill of health.
Oh, and in case you haven’t heard, Ian loves bananas. I finally gave up trying to shove cereal down his throat and tried bananas. The first bite he gagged on and spit back at me. The second he swallowed. Then he ate the whole jar. The next night he lunged for the spoon and drummed his heels against the chair with spastic glee. He ate the entire jar that night too. He tried peaches on Wednesday night. They made his eyes cross and his lips pucker and he only ate half the jar.
And in case you’re wondering: no, eating solid foods does not make him sleep any better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
HEY!!! I'm a preemie too! Celebrate MEEEEE! ~NARF Yay for preemies. Virtual hugs for you both! ooooo
Post a Comment