Apparently when you are pregnant doctors are supposed to take this measurement called a "fundal height measurement" and it gives the doctor an idea of the baby's growth. I say apparently because the much-lamented boneheads of the previous pregnancy never bothered to do this. I rather wish they had so I could have a comparison now.
My blood pressure is much better today. Actually, given how the appointment ended, I should say my blood pressure was better. I gained 6lbs this month for a total of 18lbs this pregnancy. I'm determined to not worry about 18lbs over a 24 weeks span since I'm not entirely sure I have any control over the matter.
Baby's heartbeat is wonderful and he's a bouncy little fellow. No, I did not need a doctor to tell me that. He uses my internal organs for sparring partners at every available opportunity. I cannot begin to imagine where he gets this aggressive streak.
The scary news alluded to early in this post came at the end of the appointment. I'm measuring at 27.5 weeks when I'm actually only 24.5 weeks pregnant. Measuring 3 weeks bigger than expected is enough to send any woman into Lamaze like breathing patterns. Given that I escaped giving birth to a 9lb baby last time by having him 3 weeks early, I'm truly in a panic now.
After calling anyone who would answer the phone and "totally flipping out, dude" I have calmed down enough to remember a few key facts. 1.) I'm retaining fluid because of the asthma medications. 2.) I'm carrying a pumpkin straight out front. That has to affect measurements when the entire mass of baby and womb are forming a salient of my anatomy. 3.) It's a measuring tape. How freaking accurate could it possibly be? (Ok this isn't a fact but an emotional grasping at straws. Humour me.)
My very kind and annoyingly unconcerned doctor said "If you're still measuring big next time we'll do an ultrasound- I don't want this baby getting too big."
That makes two of us, doc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment