My friend Shannon’s husband called me Monday night to tell me that Shannon’s water had broken and they were on their way to the hospital. They needed someone to come over in the morning and put Gaby, their daughter, on the school bus. (Gaby’s great-grandmother was staying with her during the night.) That meant I would have to leave our house, Ian in tow, at 5:30am to drive to Montgomery County, but I was happy to help anyway I could.
This baby has been long-hoped for. Shannon and Ernie went through a great deal of pain and emotional trauma to get to this point. Considering that Shannon was in active labor for, literally, days, with Gaby, we all anticipated a long night. Imagine my shock when shortly after 1am a text message woke me up!
Katherine Olivia arrived after just 3 hours of labor, with no epidural, weighing 8lbs 1oz. Mom and baby are doing fine.
This day will be even more special for Shannon because, like me, she comes from a family of veterans. I know that she likes to take some time each Memorial and Veteran’s Day and visit her Poppi who is interred at Arlington Cemetery. I think Poppi will understand this year that she’ll be a bit late in stopping by.
Happy Birthday Katie.
Thank you to all the Veterans. We were happy this year to welcome Tom home from his final combat tour. In January my Dad, a 20 year Army officer himself, will know with pride that one of his former students, a man he’s proud to call “son” will be completing his own 20 years of service. Also, a decorated WWII veteran of the Pacific campaign, Granddaddy Joe is still with us. My boys are blessed to have such examples of heroism and dedication to country in their lives. I hope they will for many, many, years to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment