Thursday, December 04, 2008

Oh..and...

I took Ian to the doctor this morning, because he’s been sick for 5 days with a high fever and cough. As always happens, his fever was down and he was coughing less by the time the doctor saw us. Typical!

The very nice doctor said Ian has a mild ear infection and a chest cold. Since Ian’s never had an ear infection, he went ahead and gave him a mild dose of antibiotics for a few days.

Then he informed me that we need to go back in two weeks for a weight check. Ian’s at 27lbs now, which is still on his 25% growth curve that he was on this time last year.

And before we left he handed me a slip of paper with “Child Find – speech evaluation” circled on it. He held my hand a second after I took the paper, looked me in the eye and said “Call them. It can only help.”

I knew it was coming. I’ve told several of you I wanted to take him in and have him evaluated. But having his doctor tell me this, out-right, was still a shock. I know he only spent 15 minutes with Ian, but he was very good and tried everything he could to get Ian to say anything at all. He got one shy “hi” and several “ow-k”’s when he examined Ian’s ears.

It can only help, but it still scares the hell out of me.

His perch for the past 5 days.

No comments: