Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Big Lena

Ethan has been driving me crazy all week, wanting to know how long until “the big Lena” (so named because she’s taller than he is and because he has a playmate with the same name) comes to visit. At this point the answer can only be: “not soon enough”.

My cousin Lena is 16 years younger than I am. When she was a baby I spent part of one summer helping her Mom out and spending time with my family in Western Kentucky. Now, 16 years later, she's coming to help me out with my boys and spend time with me. We’ve always lived six or more hours away from each other and, thus, haven’t been as close as I would like. I’m looking forward to getting to know the young lady she is so quickly becoming.

Of course I’m not really sure what to do while Lena is here. It’s been a long time, if ever, since I understood what was cool for a teenager to do. I can only hope that shopping trips in the city, a night out in Old Town, and a trip or two to the movies will make up for all of the playing trains and sword fighting she will have to endure.

But before Lena gets here, I have to clean the house and finish a thousand little home improvement projects. I don’t think she’ll mind if the house isn’t in immaculate condition, but since we’re getting ready to put the house on the market, I will take advantage of any excuse for a good deep cleaning!

No comments: