Thursday, February 15, 2007

Hearts and the ER


yummy valentine
Originally uploaded by redamy.

No holiday is complete without a little excitement and last minute schedule changes.

Valentine’s Day started out ok. Ian was fussy and refusing to nap, but he’s been doing that for the past several days. Ethan was behaving, for once, and didn’t even beg to go out and play in the sleet and snow.

While Ian napped (all of 20 minutes) in the afternoon, Ethan and I made heart cakes. We poured red velvet cake mix into 23 Reynolds Fun Shapes pre-made heart shapes and cooked them. After they were cooled the plan was to top them with white icing and red sprinkles. That was the plan…

As I was pulling the cakes out of the oven, I heard Ian wake up and start fussing. Then I heard a loud crash. I yelled at Ethan, who was upstairs in his room, to cut it out. Then I heard high-pitched screaming from Ian.

When I got upstairs I found Ian wedged underneath and behind his crib. The top part of the front rail had come off but the rail stayed attached because of the bumper pads. This made it sort of like a funnel and apparently he rolled off the crib and into the drawer beneath the crib. After that he somehow got wedged behind the drawer up against the wall. I’m not exaggerating when I say I freaked out.

Ethan ran to get the phone while I pulled the rest of the crib apart to get Ian out. He was screaming, of course, and already had a welt between his eyes. He wasn’t moving his left arm very well and cried when I touched it.

Our neighbor Steve was home and agreed to watch Ethan, until Mark could get home, while I raced Ian to the emergency room. He threw up once at home and again in the car.
By the time a doctor saw us in the ER it had been two hours and Ian had completely calmed down. He was laughing and flirting with the nurses and generally making me look like an insane, over-reacting, mother. The doctor checked him out and proclaimed Ian probably had one heck of a headache, if not a mild concussion, and a few bruises. Otherwise, he’s a-ok.

Once at home Ian soaked up the attention from Mark and a very concerned big brother. “You can’t put Ian in his bed again Mommy. I think he needs to sleep with me. I will keep him safe.”

When the boys were in bed, Mark made me a delicious dinner of sirloin tips in tequila lime cream sauce over fettuccine. We watched “Fly Boys” while eating dinner and then snacked on home-made chocolate covered strawberries.

And the heart cakes? Still sitting un-iced on the baking tray in the pantry. I might get to those sometime today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not a year unless you've been to the ER, says the woman who has been twice this year already. Hope Ian is feeling better.