Friday, June 06, 2008

Grumble Grumble Yawn

I didn't take a nap yesterday, choosing instead to play Candyland with Ethan. Then I stayed up late last night reading. So, I was very tired when a not-so-little boy came stumbling into our room at 2am wanting to sleep in our bed. Usually when this happens I can convince him to go back to his own bed. This time my loving husband sabotaged me.

I got up and started to tell Ethan to come with me and I'd tuck him back in. Mark rolled over at that point and said "Sure buddy, hop up here." Then he patted the spot in the bed I'd just vacated. Folks, our bed isn't that big. There isn't a bed big enough to accommodate Mark and Ethan AND me. Mark's a bed hog as it is and sleeping with Ethan is a little like sleeping with one of those huge skeletons from high school biology classrooms. Only, some goth teenager has taken the opportunity to file sharp edges on ever single bone in that skeleton. Sleeping with a bag of pointy edges that flail about at random intervals isn't my idea of sleeping at all.

Too late, though. Ethan was snuggled down on my side of the bed. He even appropriated both my pillows. When I tried to move him he started whimpering. Mark was already snoring again. I gave up. There's not much fight in me at 2am. I trudged to Ethan's room and tried to doze in his bed.

We need to buy that kid a new mattress.

At 4am I'd had enough. I went back in our room, picked up all 40lbs of floppy legs and arms and carried him back to his bed. He didn't so much as open his eyes.

This morning when I was trying to hide under the covers, I reminded Mark of how he betrayed me and gave up my bed to his son. Both he and Ethan stared at me like I was crazy. Mark said I had dreamed it all. Ethan grinned like the Cheshire Cat that he is and said "Yup, Mamma, you dreamed it all up. Silly Mamma."

Grumble.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

LOL. I've had nights like that myself with Clayton. He particularly likes to slap me in the face, repeatedly, in the middle of the night.

That makes for a good nights sleep, yes.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Tim sleeps in our bed more often than not. Add a couple cats to the mix..I frequently sleep in Tim's empty bed.

Dh never wakes through any of it.

Terry