My family is populated by opinionated, stubborn, loving, but most of all, talkative, women. Oh there are plenty of men to round out the gatherings and gives us people to cook for, but my mother’s family is most definitely matriarchal. I’m sure in the “olden days” the women of the Owen/Wade/Aldridge clans would sit around and chat while working on a quilt. Today we migrate towards Gramma’s dining room table and a deck of cards. Talking is just easier when your hands are busy shuffling a few decks and your mind is trying to remember the rules of the latest game that Aunt Tennie has found.
Ian, with his love of the middle of a table- any table will do as long as it is hard and has a great big light above it searing his little green/hazel/brown eyes- tended to interrupt our card games this trip. Tennie soon discovered, however, that Gramma’s chandelier makes the perfect hanging place for a wind chime and that wind chimes are glorious entertainment to a 4.5 month old baby. When he wasn’t lying smack dab in the middle of the table he was being held, cuddled, rocked, and generally spoiled rotten.
Uncle Eldon is convinced I don’t feed Ian at all. Aunt Tennie is convinced I’m feeding him the special puppy chow for “large babies”. (It’s not that he’s fat, it’s just that baby Eliza is so femininely petite. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.)
Just to prove that he really is a paragon of baby correctness (and that his mother is a paranoid freak), Ian rolled over three times while we were at Gramma’s house. I’d give you more details, but I missed it all three times. Yeah, that’s fair. Also, he hasn’t done it since.
Before you ask, there are no pictures of Gramma holding Ian because she was invariably rocking him to sleep. I heard her mutter on more than one occasion that I was abusing the poor baby because I didn’t have a good rocker with a good squeak to it.
Yeah, he looks abused, doesn’t he?


2 comments:
LOL, that's a hilarious pictures. He really looks like he's concentrating on that hand!
(evil stewie voice)yeah, he's gonna be one of us soon, with the card playing and the making fun of the fake redhead. it will be glorious. Victory is MINE!!!!(end voice)
Love ya :P
Post a Comment