Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Yes, I can wait

I'm sure it's just a polite form of greeting when seeing a very pregnant woman. Much like you would ask any "normal" person "How are you?" without expecting a full health history, you tell a visibly pregnant woman "I bet you can't wait!".

But I can wait.

I realize that I waddle. I admit it and even mock myself. My hips are a full nautical mile apart now. You try walking with hips wider apart than your shoulder blades and a new center of gravity to boot. And, let's be honest, I was never a very graceful person to begin with! I realize that it really looks like I stuffed a pumpkin in my underwear and that my face, feet, hands and even my knees are swollen. I realize that I wheeze and pant with every step.

But I can wait.

This little boy isn't due until June 5th. He needs to grow a bit more before making his entrance into this world, even though the idea of him growing larger is slightly terrifying. He needs to let his lungs fully mature, his liver prepare to handle life outside the womb, and his swallow reflex to develop.

Ethan was born at 37 weeks and he was a very healthy boy. But he had reflux, he didn't pick up on nursing well and he gained weight slowly (at first). If waiting until 38, 39, or 40 weeks helps eliminate those problems, I can wait.

I can wait. These are the last few weeks when Ethan has his Mamma all to himself. While I miss being able to dance with him and take long walks to the park, I know that my attention will be seriously divided very soon. Actually having a lap for him to sit on while reading stories won't matter when his baby brother is needing to be fed.

We've come this far. We prayed for this baby and have been fighting for the past 7 weeks to keep him safe and sound. After coming this far, a few more weeks hardly matter.

So ask me "How much longer?" and remark "I bet you can't wait". You'll get a secretive little smile and a nod.

Mark can wait; Ethan can wait; I can wait.

Baby brother will be here soon. Until then, we're enjoying the wait.

No comments: