Monday, September 16, 2013

Adrian's 37th

I’ve been thinking about you a lot, lately.

Your birthday is today.  You’d have been 37.  It’s been almost 6 years since you left us.

Ethan doesn't remember you.  He’ll be 11 in November.  He’s started taking karate and he’s going to play basketball this year.  He’s tall and sensitive and oh so sarcastic.  He has great big blue eyes and long eyelashes, just like you.  I wish you were here to talk with him and show him how to do roundhouse kicks.

Ian never got a chance to know you.  He plays with your Legos all the time.  He’s an inquisitive chatterbox who loves life.  I wish you were here to listen to him ramble for hours about dead naked zombies, biomes, 3D art modeling, and how to be a better ninja. He’s 7, he needs an uncle to remind him that big brothers might be mean, but they will always stand by you in a crisis.

You’re missing all of this.  You’ve missed so much.  The rest of us have missed you and missed watching your journey through life.  We were cheated out of the laughter and struggles.  YOU cheated us.

I’m still angry.

I’m still guilty

I’m still sad

I still miss you

I will always love you.


1 comment:

Pamela said...

I really appreciate you taking the time to write a beautiful blog.